We need your input...

The development process of Motocross: Chasing the Dream will be posted here

Would you rather continue development "as is" or pivot for quicker early access release?

Pivot to arcade physics
62%
Continue with sim-cade
38%

Total votes: 21

hodge
LCQ Studios Staff

We need your input...

Post by hodge » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:06 pm

Hey guys,

After thinking about recent forum conversations in the development log topic, I have brought up a pivotal change in the development of MCTD to my team that we would also appreciate your feedback on.

The Proposal

Basically our three options are to create our physics around the current goal of simcade, release an arcade-y alpha in the very near future, or give up and shut the whole thing down. At the current rate of development (which is likely to last 2-6 more months(The rate not the development)), we will most likely take a very long, uncertain amount of time to release the first early access and probably give up in the middle (maybe not, idk) because this is getting too hard; so a combination of options 1 and 3 possibly.

So, my new proposal, option 2, is to take the current physics and instead of continuing to add in and test physics at a snail's pace to react more like real life, we make them play more like an arcade game at the start. This would be similar to how MX Simulator and MX Bikes (kind of) started off - with "fake" physics and then continuous updates over time to add in more realistic physics.

I want to be clear about this - The physics will evolve over time with updates to be more life-like.

How Arcade-y?

I was thinking of something planted to the ground similar to the old MvA games, but without the twitchy, linear turning. There will still be a separation between lean and steer controls and free in-air controls, of course.
It just needs to be fun to play with as little annoyances as possible.

The Gameplan

If we continue with the development how it is, we will be doing a Kickstarter so we are able to stay afloat and be able to trade off time at work/school to work on this project. As said earlier, with this option, the timeframe and project life is highly uncertain.

With this new approach, we will be able to release on Steam for an early access discounted price (not certain what that is yet) and start a Patreon for the hardcore people with monthly low-cost tiers for goodies like experimental builds, game server reserved slots, game server moderation commands, special in-game items, direct contact to the developers, and we are open to suggestion for tiers as well.
With a base arcade physics system, we will be able to put more effort into creating the other systems that make a moto game good such as reliable online servers, good terrain deformation, race modes/types, general stability of the game, and of course small but important physics updates over time. Not to mention you can get your hands on it way sooner and start giving feedback on the most important things you want to see improved, fixed, or outright changed.

Ok, so whens the early acces release?

We aren't totally sure, but sometime in the early months of 2020. Ideally, as soon as possible.

We will be talking about this as a team tomorrow night (11/06/19), but personally I think this is the key to making sure the project progresses more quickly and efficiently so we don't burn out. This will be a soft release so the community will be the driving factor behind the project if this moves forward down this path with feedback that is listened to and open modding similar to other motocross communities.

You've heard my proposal and reasoning behind it so drop a vote and let me know your thoughts on the potential pivot and why you are for or against it. It would help me and the other guys a ton. We aren't guaranteeing we are pivoting, but it is something that needs talked about.
6 x

PublicHarmony

Re: We need your input...

Post by PublicHarmony » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:55 am

There doesn't really seem to be any negatives in pivoting the physics. When it's out it might be easier to improve the physics with the full community support and ensure there is still interest when its realised.
3 x

MathieuAerts

Post by MathieuAerts » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:15 am

I think you make the right choices again. I think if we have a physics that allows to be free in the air. Who is pleasant to play. Release the game now, and make updates later on physics. The community will be created, and will help you. We can not wait to see more!
0 x

storken
Community Moderator
Discord: StorkeN#6883

Post by storken » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:09 am

I cast my vote to sim-cade, as that is what I personally want. Though;
If you pivot to arcade physics, would the entire project be for all future more arcady, or would development go towards sim-cade (as before), but at a slower pace with community support/feedback?
0 x

MathieuAerts

Post by MathieuAerts » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:02 am

Why not propose at first an arcade mode with a freedom in the air. And later add a simulation mode? And leave the choice to the player between the two modes once available?
0 x

hodge
LCQ Studios Staff

Post by hodge » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:45 pm

storken wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:09 am
Even if we pivot to arcade physics now, the ultimate goal is to expand on them to be what we want which is the sim-cade physics, but yes, at a slower pace over time. I'd like to think of it as the same path JLV took from 2007 sim to 2019 sim, but with better physics to start out with and a faster dev cycle.
This video does a good job at what I mean.
4 x

MathieuAerts

Post by MathieuAerts » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:02 pm

I totally agree with that! I am with you!
2 x

Bulldog

Post by Bulldog » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:38 pm

I would love to see this game come to fruition. Whatever you think will keep the interest of all of the developers to make that happen is what I think you should do. That said I voted to pivot to arcade physics and early access Steam release. Even though I said that I think you should have the sim-cade physics nailed upon release I would hate to see the project die because of that, and I would be happy to purchase an early access version to help support your efforts.
0 x

storken
Community Moderator
Discord: StorkeN#6883

Post by storken » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:46 pm

hodge wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:45 pm
storken wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:09 am
Even if we pivot to arcade physics now, the ultimate goal is to expand on them to be what we want which is the sim-cade physics, but yes, at a slower pace over time. I'd like to think of it as the same path JLV took from 2007 sim to 2019 sim, but with better physics to start out with and a faster dev cycle.
This video does a good job at what I mean.
Kawasakis old videos <3

I vote for a faster release, then shape it into what you want with community feedback :)
4 x

22Ryann

Post by 22Ryann » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:17 am

I vote for whichever is going to keep you guys happy and interested in continuing the game.

I Always loved the thought of simulation in terms of the way the bike feels and rides when you play it and not directly related to controlling every single aspect of the bike and rider 1:1 like a traditional simulator tries to do.

I also feel "faking" the way inputs work with the game to make the overall bike ride something familiar to the real thing is way easier to do apposed to generating a million different forces that match up with real life. I also think doing complete simulation just doesn't work that well with motocross to begin with, seeing so much of it is self conscious when you ride, with balance etc.

I think arcade direction can be fine as long as it sticks to actually feels like riding imo. The most popular games that have ever existed are arcade-style and even when you think of reflex how big you could jump and the things you could do, it still felt natural the way you scrub jumps when you're going too fast etc. hit corners and it allowed people to have fun.

And like I preached in the other forum, I think you are way better off getting to a nice comfortable base physics and then iterating from there from the feedback you get, as long as you guys intend to stay active with it.
2 x